Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Wow, Meow!

So sometime in 1999, Dolly recorded some demos for an animated version of "Tom Sawyer." I'm not exactly sure if maybe it was a bigger deal during production and then downgraded to a Made for TV movie that went strictly to video. And I can't even comment on the quality of the movie either. I've never seen it.

I have heard the demos though. And I can't even remotely understand why they weren't used in the film. The movie is country through and through. Lee Ann Womack voices Becky. Mark Wills is Huckleberry Finn. Other country luminaries who provide voice overs include Charlie Daniels, Hank Williams, Jr., and Waylon Jennings. (And Betty White... I know she's not a country icon, but she's Rose freaking Nylund and a Golden Girls mention never goes unpassed by me.)

But anyway, with such a cast and a country tinged feel, one would assume that Ms. Dolly's fabulous songs would complete the perfect equation.

Such was not the case. For whatever reason, none of her songs were used. A soundtrack was released. Again, I've never heard the songs. And again, most of the stars of the film appear on the soundtrack.

So... Dolly's song unfortunately didn't make the cut.

But they did here, of course.

There are five songs in all. And I know I'm biased. But I really like all of em. Some are corny, some absolutely beautiful. Really the perfect mix of Dolly that any fan would love.

First off is "Adventure," a cute little ditty with some catchy lyrics. "Country Boys" follows and is probably my favorite. I love the melody and the lyrics are cute and snappy. "Makin' Me Crazy" is one of those instances where I like Dolly's wispy, whispery vocals. It's often a toss up as to whether I enjoy them (i.e. "Crippled Bird") and when I don't, (i.e. "The Cruel War.)

Next up is "We Might Be In Love," a fabulous, wonderful, amazing song that first appeared in "Blue Valley Songbird." Here it's done solo and I think it's a beautiful song. I really hope that she'll eventually do a studio version of it one day.

The last song is a little strange. But not really if you know the context of the film. All of the characters are animals. And Tom, Huck, and Becky are cats. Hence "Wow, Meow!" It's a very cute song and I guarantee that after one listen, you'll be singing it all day.

So there you have it. Some new Dolly to start your week off.

Let me know what you think. Did you like? Did you love it?

Here's the link...
http://www.sendspace.com/file/eelhcx

Enjoy... and get to livin'!

No comments: